Often, you may face situations when you feel disabled doing small tasks, which were earlier natural to you and you did them without even thinking?
You may also be facing difficulties in manipulating small objects, such as buttoning a shirt or placing an earring?
You may also note that such symptoms also worsen when you are driving.
Well, you should not be surprised if you are suffering from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Please don’t panic, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is not as deadly as it sounds, and can also be treated with treatment and some necessary precautions. Before we begin, let us take you through and tell you what Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is all about.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, when put simply is when there is a nerve compression in the wrist.
Carpal Tunnel is basically an opening in the wrist formed by the carpal bones located in the bottom part of the wrist.
Since the nerve which is the median nerve, which is compressed, passes through the Carpal Tunnel Cavity, it may cause interference in a person’s daily activities which need to be done using the wrist or the hand in general. Please refer to the image below to see what happens in case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
So now, that we know what Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is all about, let us take you through it’s symptoms
- Difficulty when you try to grip an object with either one hand or both hands.
- Experiencing pain or numbness in one or both hands.
- Experiencing needle or pin piercing in fingers of one or both hands.
- Swollen fingers.
- Tingling or Burning sensation in fingers especially in the thumb, index finger or the middle finger.
- Difficulty in handling or operating on small objects like screws, earrings, safety pins etc.
Please note, that the above symptoms may be same for some other diseases as well, it would best to consult your orthopaedician.
Moving on, we would now be telling you about, the primary causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- You maybe suffering with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, if you are having an imbalance in your hormone profile. (Especially in cases such as Menopause, Pregnancy or Thyroid profile.)
- Your Blood Sugar Levels maybe causing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome especially if you are patient of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Physical Injuries to the wrist such as dislocation, sprain, breakage, swelling or inflammation.
- Arthritis – Carpal Tunnel is a common occurrence in patients suffering from Osteo Arthritis or Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is easily treatable but the treatment may vary with each patient depending on factors such as
- Medical History,
- Severity of the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
At Bones and Joints Clinic Noida, we treat Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, the treatment would include
- Surgery – Rare chance (Only if your Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is severe)
- Splinting – Your wrist(s) would be prevented for moving till the compression on your nerve has reduced.
- Anti Inflammatory medication – If in case there is severe swelling in your fingers.
- Professional Rehabilitation Changes such as changing the height or in general the site where you use your computer.
If you are suffering with any of the above symptoms, you could be having this syndrome. At Bone and Joint Clinic, we have been curing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome for more than a decade and we will make sure you get rid of it.